Hair that is dull, frayed, or damaged from the use of dyes and chemicals is considered unhealthy hair. By following a few simple steps, damaged locks can be avoided and healthy hair can be easily achieved.
Make Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- A balanced diet is the key to thick and healthy hair. Consuming food rich with Vitamin B, iron, and protein will not only lead to great hair but healthy nails and skin as well.
- Hair needs protection from the heat and cold just as much as your skin does. Neglecting to do so will result in dry, brittle hair. When the sun is beaming, hats will prevent it from getting fried. In the winter time, avoid going outside with wet hair because hair will freeze and become frayed.
- Protecting hair from chemicals is also essential. Exposing hair to chemicals such as, chlorine, will result in less than luscious hair.
Implement Healthy Styling and Washing Routines
- In order to achieve healthy hair, changing one’s washing routine is important. Washing everyday along with using hot water can cause excessively oily hair, therefore, cleansing hair just four times a week using cold water will keep oil glands in balance.
- Hair is fragile and needs to be treated gently to remain healthy. After rinsing hair, gently dry it with a towel. Wringing it out can cause split ends and breakage. Additionally, opt for a wide-toothed comb instead of a brush. This will allow for tangles to be worked through smoothly.
- Avoiding using heat styling devices is an easy and excellent way to preserve healthy hair. Excessive use of such tools can cause hair to become dry and lead to split ends. If use of flat irons, blow dryers, and curling irons is inevitable, use them on low temperature settings and use a protective serum beforehand.
- My recommendation: Chi iron guard “this is a phenomenal product for any and every hair texture. I use this product before every flat iron service. Not only is chi iron guard a great shield against the heat, it also leaves the hair weightless with lots of body, movement and shine.
Use Healthy Hair Products and Refrain From Damaging Treatments
- Some hair products on the market claim to provide great results, but often dry hair. This is because of a cleanser found in shampoos called sulfates, which strip the natural oils from hair. To avoid this, switch to products made with natural ingredients.
- My recommendation: Mizani purifying shampoo ‘This is definitely one of my favorite cleaners. Its a weightless clarifying shampoo that doesn’t leave a nasty film over the hair shaft when done washing.
- Salons today offer services such as Brazilian blowouts and chemical curlers, but these treatments can cause significant damage to hair because of the amount of heat they use. Staying away from these services and instead giving yourself oil treatments at home will lead to soft, shiny hair.